Cake! Who loves cake! I do I do… white cake, yellow cake, chocolate cake, strawberry cake whatever, it’s all cake. I usually make cakes out of the box and have fun decorating them with tons of frosting. This year for my Momma’s birthday I decided to try something new. Make a cake from scratch, totally from scratch! It was good, but more so it was so rewarding to know that I made it from total scratch! I was sure to tell everyone too, everyone. Wouldn’t you?
Happy Birthday to my Momma she is worth all the pain (burns) and suffering (having to totally start over when the cakes wouldn’t come out of the pan) that I went through to make this cake! Love you!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup butter (room temp)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. In a stand mixer, or mixing with an electric mixer in bowl, mix milk, butter, vanilla, and eggs. In thirds, add in dry mixture. Combine well. Spray pan(s), I used 2 9 inch cake pans, and lightly flour. Do NO skip the flouring step. It is critical, I learned this lesson the hard way. I made 2 cakes, cooled completely, and they would not come out of the pan. Not only did it suck because I had to start all over at 10 pm, BUT that means I had two 9 inch cakes to munch on while making two more 9 inch cakes! Danger.
- Bake at 350, cool for 10 minutes, flip and remove from cake pans onto cooling surface to finish cooling completely.
- 1 cup frozen raspberries,thawed and drained completely
- 2/3 cup raspberry preserves
- Fresh raspberries, for decoration (optional) I didn’t think of this in time, but wish I did, they would have been pretty.
- In a bowl, combine thawed raspberries and preserves. Set aside. This mixture will be spread in between the 2 layers of cake.
Dark Chocolate frosting
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2 1/4 cup (4.5 sticks) butter, room temp
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 pounds semi-sweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- 12 oz mini chocolate chips for decorating
- Combine cocoa and boiling water, stir until cocoa has dissolved. In mixer, beat butter, powdered sugar, and salt until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low. Add melted and cooled chocolate, beating until combined. Remember to scrap down the sides of your bowl to ensure all ingredients make it into the mix. Beat in cocoa mixture.
Using a large bread knife, I sliced the top of my bottom cake to make it as flat as possible. I added the raspberry mixture in an even but thick layer on top. Then evened out the top of my second layer of cake, then placed it, UP SIDE DOWN, on top of the raspberry filling.
Slather that frosting all over the cake. Don’t worry about the bottom being messy because we decorate the whole bottom edges with the mini chips so you won’t ever see it. In fact, a little mess down there may help the chips stick in place.
I even made a few cupcakes for the non-raspberry eating cake lovers at the party. There was TONS of frosting!
Ooops… I totally forgot to post the picture of the inside of the cake. Here ya go!